Saturday, May 21, 2005

Restore Free Speech to Preachers!

I found this article to be very interesting in a couple of ways. I learned a few things I did not know before.

First, "This restriction is not part of the U.S. Constitution. It's a tax law enacted through a legislative maneuver more than 50 years ago by Sen. Lyndon Johnson to silence his political enemies." I did not realize that the IRS threat against the church was so recent.

Second, "The good news is that there's a solution to this injustice. It's called House Resolution 235, the Houses of Worship Free Speech Restoration Act. This vital legislation would return the First Amendment protection of free speech back to America's pulpits." I did not know that there was a House resolution that is dealing with this issue. I guess there are many different opinions on this topic.

I'm not in favor of a pastor that spends more time on political issues than shepherding his congregation. I do find that throughout the Bible, God's prophets and leaders did speak out against many government leaders and their immoral practices. I believe that we should share the teachings of God and preach His word.

Charlotte Observer | 05/16/2005 | Restore free speech to preachers

No comments: