Monday, May 02, 2005

Don't Understand the Debate on Homosexuality

I do not understand how there can be a debate on this topic that is raging through many denominations, including my own, the UMC. I believe the Bible (I truly believe that this is where the problem begins when people do not believe that the Word of God is "inspired" and "inerrant" in it's teachings) teaches in both the Old and New Testament that Homosexuality is a Sin. I know that we live in a time when people have tried to push this "alternative lifestyle" down our throat. I'm amazed at how accepted this is now. When I was saved in the 1980, I don't think that this was even a topic of discussion. In the 90's, we had the famous, "dont ask, dont tell" policy that was introduced in our military. Now, we have some denominations believing it's ok to be the leader of Christ's church. I don't think the discussion is about if God loves the homosexual, for the Bible teaches that God does not a respector of persons. God's love is for everyone, but He also has a set of requirements for leadership in the church. I know that it may seem simple, and the "well educated" tend to ridicule people who believe God's word, but if I had to make a choice on the teachings of scripture and modern philosophy, I dont think there's any question on the subject.

6 comments:

John said...

Welcome to the Methodist blogosphere. I'll add you to the Methodist Blogs Weekly Roundup.

John said...

Care to make a prediction about how long it will be before the UMC elects a gay bishop? I'm guessing 7 years.

Scott said...

I was wondering how many would be even eligible to become bishop? I would guess that they could elect one out west even sooner than 7 years. There are some that would like to have one elected before the next General Conference in 2008.

John said...

The question that I've been asking around the Methodist blogosphere is what are the legal mechanics of schism? How could it be done?

Richard H said...

Here are a few assumptions the pro-homosexual groups within the UMC tend to have:
1. If what we take to be references to homosexuality in scripture are indeed talking about homosexuality, then they are relatized by at least one of two factors: (a) They speak of it in cultic context, and it is the paganism associated with the acts that it bad, not the acts themselves; (b) The homosexuality they depict is not the modern, committed, loving relationships we have in modern society.

2. Science trumps the bible. (a) Science tells us homosexuality is an orientation peopel are born with. Combine this with the theological conviction that everything God made is good, and what you get is a God given orientation that is good and not to be questioned.(b) Following on the same scientific fact: if it is an orientation, it is beyond choice. Only that which is freely chosen is sinful, therefore homosexuality cannot be a sin. (c) The biblical picture of gender (people are either men OR women) is too simplistic. Gender is actually best understood on a spectrum, and thus sexual relations vary correspondingly.
3. Sex is such a good thing it cannot be denied anyone.

Those are all arguments I have heard before. There are many others out there. I don't find any of them convincing, but it's better to know and understand these things than to simply mark your opponents in the argument as evil church wreckers.

iamnettie said...

I want to tell you I think it wonderful to hear a UMC pastor-to-be saying the homosexuality is a sin. I am saddend when I see so many saying it is not a sin. Hello what does the Bible say??? Thank you for reading the Bible for what the Bible says!

Welcome to the world of blogging...it is a wonderful world.